It’s estimated that 4.9 million people in Australia suffer from migraines, with up to 7 million people suffering from tension-type headaches. Nearly all victims report an impairment in social activities and work capacity, making headaches a significant health burden.
If you are one of the millions of sufferers of headaches and migraines, you don’t need to battle it alone. Did you know that you can turn to Mother Nature to help minimise your headache pain and reduce the severity and frequency of attacks?
Why do we get headaches?
Headaches can be a sign of emotional distress or result from high blood pressure or anxiety. Overactive blood vessels, muscles and nerves of the head and neck can cause changes in the brain, creating pain. There’s not one single cause of headaches.
Over time, you may figure out what triggers your headaches and migraines. There are hundreds of potential triggers, such as strong odours, bright lights, loud noises, or eye strain. For some, it could be lack of sleep. For others, it could be hormonal changes. It’s important that after you have identified your triggers, you begin to make the necessary lifestyle changes.
Medications and supplements are sometimes necessary for some sufferers, while others with more mild cases might want to resort to more natural solutions, such as yoga, dietary modifications, or pure essential oils.
Treat your headaches and migraines the natural way
Here’s five pure essential oils that are known to help headaches naturally.
- Lavender essential oil: Arguably the most common pure essential oil, if you’re a regular sufferer of headaches, this is a must-have in your medicine arsenal. Said to encourage sleep and reduce anxiety and depression, the powerful effects of lavender essential oil can relieve headaches and migraines that are triggered by stress.
- Rosemary essential oil: This plant extract improves circulation and has anti-inflammatory and pain-killing properties. Having been used in folk medicine for hundreds of years, it also helps relax muscles, which may be the cause behind tension headaches.
- Peppermint essential oil: With its active ingredient being menthol, peppermint essential oil has a noticeable cooling sensation when applied to the skin. Peppermint helps muscles relax and eases pain. For something a little stronger, try our Headache Ease Roll On, which contains Lemon, Peppermint and Lavender essential oils.
- Eucalyptus essential oil: Traditionally used to clear sinuses and reduce inflammation, if you’re experiencing a headache due to blocked sinuses, inhaling eucalyptus essential oil may help alleviate the pain
- Chamomile Roman essential oil: If your headache is brought on by stress or anxiety, chamomile Roman essential oil may help you calm down and melt away nervous tension.
Remember: Essential oils need to be diluted with a carrier oil, such as jojoba oil, avocado oil or sweet almond oil before they touch the skin. Once they have been diluted, the oil can be massaged into your temples and across the forehead.
Alternatively, you can add a few drops into an Oil Garden diffuser and inhale deeply. This vapouriser remedy works best when you’re in a quiet and dark room.
Get instant pain relief from headaches with Oil Garden
Whether you’re experiencing a mild throb in your head or symptoms of a migraine, turn to pure essential oils to help relieve your pain. Our oils have many therapeutic benefits which can help you recover faster from a headache and sometimes even stop them in their tracks. Made naturally and organically derived, our pure essential oils are also cruelty-free and quality assured.
Harness a happier, healthier life through the power of aromatherapy and stave off those painful headaches. Shop our range of pure essential oils today to treat yourself – or a loved one.