Cramming for an exam. Moving to a new house. Or simply exhausted from being on your feet all day, every day. Stress triggers look different to all of us, but it’s a universal language and a normal part of life. In small doses, it can sometimes be beneficial and even necessary. Only when it starts to hinder your emotional, mental and physical wellbeing does it begin to do more damage than good.
While some of us perform better under pressure and even thrive from a boost of cortisol (the primary stress hormone), for others, it can make them literally ill. Take a deep breath and listen to your body – what’s it saying to you?
Signs of stress: when your body says “enough”
When you’re faced with a stressful situation, your nervous system springs into action. You may have heard of the “fight or flight” response, and this is where your heart beats faster, your muscles tighten, and your blood pressure rises in preparation for an action. Fortunately, this kind of stress is temporary. However, if you stay in this state for a long period of time, it can lead to physical symptoms such as chronic headaches, insomnia, fatigue, and irritability.
If these manifestations sound familiar to you, it might be time to unwind and invite calm into your life.
Address the stress in your life with essential oils
You could get a weekly body massage, or book a holiday to a tropical island – but who has the time (or the money) to indulge in these beauty rituals or jump on a plane? There’s a far simpler way to invite calm into your life, and it’s with these 4 pure essential oils.
- Lavender essential oil: Touted as the all-rounder scent that is refreshing and relaxing, as well as being a natural disinfectant and deodorant, lavender essential oil has been used for centuries to aid sleep. As it is a natural relaxant, inhaling lavender is said to calm the body and mind, as well as lessen anxiety.
- Bergamot essential oil: With its signature citrus fruit scent, bergamot essential oil has been said to reduce stress and anxiety, and promote relaxation. When tension is high, the aroma of bergamot can produce a calming effect when inhaled.
- Rose Geranium essential oil: Grounding, soothing, and balancing, rose geranium essential oil is one of the lesser-known scents that has many potent benefits. Its aroma alone is known to reduce feelings of stress and worry, as well as simultaneously uplift your mood and promote feelings of positivity and well-being.
- Roman Chamomile essential oil: You’re probably aware of the benefits of ingesting chamomile tea, but there’s more to it. Not only does it smell sweet, but the aroma of Roman chamomile essential oil is useful for combating stress, mild anxiety and nervous tension, as well as the physical effects such as insomnia and headaches.
How to use your pure essential oils
There’s three different ways you can use essential oils to invite calm into your life:
- Put a few drops of your chosen oil on your pillowcase shortly before bedtime for a restful night’s sleep. The scent will linger throughout the night while you slumber.
- Add it into your vaporiser. Simply choose 3 essential oils and add a total of 5 drops to the water. As the mist rises, it will carry the pure essential oil particles into the surrounding air.
- Massage it into your body. Add 5 drops of the essential oil to 10ml of carrier oil (such as jojoba oil or sweet almond oil) and gently massage over your skin.
Restore balance in your life with essential oils from Oil Garden
Begin your stress-free journey with Oil Garden. We offer a collection of 100% pure essential oils, diffusers and carrier oils for your wellbeing. Bottled and blended right here in Australia, our essential oils work by channelling Mother Nature’s scents to encourage calm, clarity and vitality. Boost your health, improve your lifestyle, and be inspired to be a happier you with our plant-based and cruelty-free products.
Shop our range of pure essential oils today. As always, our products do not contain harmful chemicals or parabens.