If your goals are living better and living healthier, you no doubt regularly exercise, eat well and follow a skincare routine. However, did you know that you can get beauty-enhancing, medicinal, spiritual and therapeutic value from Mother Nature herself? All you need to do is look to essential oils.
What you need to know about essential oils
Whilst often used to scent the home, freshen up the laundry or even repel mosquitoes, essential oils have a myriad of benefits that are often untapped. You probably already know how essential oils work: our sense of smell is the only sense directly connected to the limbic part of the brain, which is responsible for our emotions, motivation and memory.
Essential oils are a convenient way to add a bit of nature to people’s lives, but here’s what else you didn’t know about essential oils:
- Essential oils have been enjoyed for centuries: Across many countries and cultures, essential oils have been used for over 3500 years. Recipes for herbal-infused oils and creams were discovered in the tombs of Egyptian royalty, including Queen Cleopatra. Frankincense and myrrh? They weren’t just strange gifts to bring a newborn. The father of holistic medicine, Hippocrates, even recommended daily scented massages. Closer to home, Captain James Cook and his crew made a tea from tea tree oil in 1772 to prevent scurvy.
- There’s an essential oil remedy for every type of mood: Exhausted but can’t sleep? Stressed about an upcoming exam? Want to enhance your mood with positive thoughts? There’s an essential oil for that. Each essential oil contains more than 200 individual molecules, which offer many health, healing and regeneration benefits.
- Essential oils can also aid in the treatment of ailments: Essential oils don’t just smell nice. They can also be used to treat a number of complaints such as dry skin, eczema and even anti-ageing. Don’t forget that if they’re applied to your skin without being properly diluted with a carrier oil such as jojoba oil, sweet almond oil and avocado oil, then you’re at risk of an allergic reaction, irritated skin, or burns.
- Essential oils aren’t really oil: Shocking, we know. Essential oils are in fact concentrated nutrients that are obtained from leaves, stems, flowers, bark, roots and other elements of a plant. They are then extracted through a number of different ways, such as distillation or cold pressing. They’re called “essential” because the oils are believed to capture the corresponding plant’s essence, odour and flavour.
- Not all essential oils are made equal: When using essential oils as a support to health and wellness, its purity is critical. You’ll only be able to enjoy the full benefits of essential oils when they are 100% pure as the components are synergised.
Try essential oils for yourself
Oil Garden offers a collection of 100% pure essential oils, diffusers, and organic skin care. Bottled and blended in Australia, our essential oils are designed to help you channel the many healing properties of nature. Best of all, our products are plant-based and cruelty-free with no harmful chemicals or parabens included.
Shop our range of essential oils today.