Considering that our body re-energises, clears toxins from the brain, and works to repair muscles, organs and other cells while we sleep, it goes without saying that healthy sleep is critical for everyone. After all, when you’re sleep-deprived, you spend your waking moments in a cranky state. Not only does lack of quality sleep impair concentration and alertness levels, but it can also lead to serious health problems such as high blood pressure and even heart disease. Chronic sleep loss can even bring about puffy eyes, yellow skin and premature fine lines.
Six essential oils to encourage better quality of sleep
Whatever your reason for lack of sleep – too much caffeine, a demanding job, or even exercising too soon before bed – the right essential oils can work wonders for those restless nights.
Next time you’re feeling moody, irritable, or fatigued due to lack of sleep, try to incorporate these essential oils into your bedtime routine. When you wake up in the morning the next day, you’ll immediately feel a whole lot better.
- Lavender essential oil: With a reputation for being nature’s relaxant, lavender has a positive impact on our health. A recent study showed that when inhaled, not only does lavender reduce blood pressure and our heart rate but it can also alter brain waves and reduce stress.
- Clary sage essential oil: This earthy, slightly floral scent has been known to restore clarity as well as clear nervous anxiety and confusion.
- Cedarwood essential oil: As a natural sedative, inhaling cedarwood can help relieve anxiety and stress, which are the two main culprits behind not getting restful sleep.
- Australian sandalwood essential oil: Due to its soothing, warming effect on the body, Australian sandalwood essential oil is guaranteed to help relieve nervous tension and melt away stress when inhaled.
- Ylang ylang essential oil: Promoted as a calming, meditative and warming oil, ylang ylang is also useful for stress, mild anxiety, irritability, nervous tension and insomnia.
- Roman chamomile essential oil: As a cooling and soothing oil for the mind and body, Roman chamomile oil is also useful for stress, mild anxiety, nervous tension, insomnia and headaches.
How to use your bedroom essential oils
Our sense of smell is the only sense directly connected to the limbic part of our brain, which is responsible for our emotions and memory. So, one way to use your essential oils is by breathing it in. Simply add a few drops into your diffuser and let the aroma work its way into your room. Alternatively, you can apply the essential oil directly onto your pillow case or temples. Just remember that you’ll need to dilute your pure essential oil with a carrier oil, like jojoba oil or avocado oil, before applying onto your skin to avoid an allergic reaction, irritated skin or burns.
Encourage better sleeping habits with pure essential oils
At Oil Garden, we offer a range of 100% pure essential oils, diffusers, and organic skin care products. Bottled and blended right here in Australia, our essential oils are designed to help you get a better night’s rest when used correctly. As all our products are plant-based and cruelty-free, there’s no harmful chemicals or parabens included, meaning that it’s unadulterated.
Shop our range of individual essential oils or pre-blended sleep oils and get a better night’s rest tonight.