When you have an upset tummy, you probably know to reach for the peppermint tea. Or, after brushing your teeth, you wouldn’t be surprised to know that the fresh, minty aftertaste is peppermint. But did you know to truly harness the many benefits of peppermint, you should try it in its purest form: peppermint essential oil.
Known for being one of the most versatile oils in the world, second only to Lavender essential oil, Peppermint essential oil has been held in high esteem since 1000 BC. Its many therapeutic properties include antiseptic, analgesic, stimulant, and digestive, making it an amazing addition to any medicine cabinet. Read on to see how you can use it to improve your daily life.
What is peppermint?
Peppermint oil is extracted from the leaves of the peppermint plant, which is found by streams or in wet locations throughout Europe, Asia and North America.
While it should not be taken orally and must be diluted with a carrier oil (such as jojoba oil, avocado oil or sweet almond oil before being applied onto the skin), peppermint essential oil is a popular traditional remedy for many common disorders.
There are many advantages to using peppermint essential oil in your life. Here’s just some of our favourites below.
The benefits of using peppermint pure essential oil
- Repel spiders and bugs in the home: It’s common knowledge that spiders and bugs dislike the strong smell of peppermint oil. Naturally ward off creepy crawlies in your house by placing one to three drops of peppermint oil on a cotton ball and putting them in corners where you think they will want to hide.
- Treats colds and flu: Feeling decongested? Inhaling peppermint essential oil is said to shrink the swollen membranes in the nose, making it easier for you to breathe. Furthermore, if you have a cough, the menthol in peppermint will loosen and bring up mucus from the lungs.
- Reduces pain related to IBS: Peppermint essential oil is said to have antispasmodic properties, which work to reduce the intensity and frequency of spasms or involuntary movement associated with irritable bowel syndrome. If you’re experiencing belly pain, try rubbing peppermint essential oil on your lower abdomen.
- Relieves headaches and migraines: One of the main chemical components in peppermint oil is menthol, which is a muscle relaxant. If you’re prone to tension headaches, applying diluted peppermint essential oil onto the forehead and temples has been found to be effective in relieving headache symptoms. Our Headache Ease Roll On is a blend of essential oils – including peppermint – to temporarily relieve your tension and headaches.
- Treats nausea: Whether you’re experiencing a bout of morning sickness or ate something that doesn’t agree with you, you can halt those inclinations to vomit by deeply inhaling peppermint essential oil. Simply add a total of 5 drops to the water in your Oil Garden diffuser and breathe it in. The essential oil molecules will be absorbed in the respiratory system and treat your upset stomach.
What you need to know about peppermint pure essential oils
As always, if you are pregnant or nursing, consult your physician before using peppermint pure essential oils. You should also avoid contact with eyes and other sensitive areas of the body.
Peppermint essential oils: nature’s medicine for your common ailments
Harness the many benefits of peppermint essential oils from Oil Garden. Since 1985, we have been one of the leading pure essential oil suppliers, diffusers, and skincare brands in Australia. From the outskirts of Byron Bay, we’ve made it our mission to provide our customers with natural and organic, cruelty free essential oils that deliver value without ever compromising on quality.Incorporate peppermint essential oils into your medicine cabinet today and begin a healthier, happier life with the powerful healing benefits of Mother Nature.